Last week was enhancement week which means students head home where they spend a whole week doing nothing and having their parents cook food for them. But now the week is over and we’re all missing those nice home-cooked meals. Well not to worry, today I will be providing you all with a really simple chilli recipe. The best part is…you only need one pan! So you can have all of the great taste with less of the dreaded washing up! This recipe creates enough food for four people but if you’re cooking for less people then you can save money by freezing some and eating it later.
Serves: 3-4 Cooking time: 30 minutes approx.
- 1/2 pack frozen meat free vegetarian mince
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1 tin taco mixed beans in a spicy tomato sauce
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- garlic granules
- Italian seasoning
- Chilli powder
- Tomato puree
- Vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan and add the mince
- Stir in some garlic granules and Italian seasoning to flavour the mince
- Once the mince has softened, add the kidney beans, taco mixed beans and chopped tomatoes
- Stir then add 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- Mix a vegetable stock cube into a bit of water and stir it into the pan for additional flavour
- Add chilli powder (the amount depends on personal preference)
- Simmer until it’s cooked
- Add salt and pepper
- Serve with rice or alternative
This recipe is so easy that it takes relatively no effort but it still tastes absolutely delicious and it’s cheap for those trying to eat well on a low budget. With the variety of beans in the chilli, you know that it’s going to be packed with protein to help you maintain a balanced diet! For the meat lovers out there, simply simply swap the vegetarian mince with the meat alternative and you can enjoy the same great flavours. Just because you’re a student doesn’t mean you can’t eat great home-cooked meals!